So we left Phnom Penh by bus to rush in Ho Chi Minh where we hope find a proper bike, in order to get back on the road …
The opportunity for a small balance about the Cambodian main city:
Although our visit to Cambodia was overall very nice especially in rural areas where people are warm, we are not sorry to leave Phnom Penh and its small friendly and fun facts at first, but far less funny after a while:
– The tuk-tuk drivers almost always after listening to the place to go and having discussed a price to get there darken around the city for 20 minutes to brake abruptly, turning and ask: “Oh where do you go guys?” . A medal for both small or race turned into a tour of the city an hour to reach the ultimate goal of starting 500 m (already negotiated for the same price)! We had a good laugh, including the driver! but when you want to go quickly catch a bicycle thief, it’s a waste.
– Police (notoriously corrupted in Cambodia) busy chatting on the Internet to catch chicks or watch Robocop -for once, it seems that there are places in France where it is not very remoteness
– People in the park where the bike was stolen who say, “Pshaw not we see anything, we did not see a guy with a bike !!! but he left there, and then he turned left! I swear, I have not seen anything at all! ”
– No proper findable bike for the road, or when not in my size! OK it’s not their fault, I am a head taller than most Asian people…
– We are trying to tell us about the “Khmer Rouge” period after visiting the S21 center (see for remember) and many things are very difficult to understand and accept by us other western … We also did not had a glorious attitude during these years. But that is not the topic of this blog;-)
Finally without going into details, we are happy to have crossed what. And last week, let’s be honest, morale was very low!
In Ho Chi Minh, we immediately had a much more positive feeling: the megalopolis well be overpolluted and hordes of scooters in the streets in vain do we navigate in a very rock’n’roll, the city exudes something that we find pleasant and intelligent …
It took a little run bicycle shops and customize it all but in the end a new frame is ready since this morning! It will never replace the tip-top custom-made bike that I had, but it is very well made. This is a very good bike that will undoubtedly lead us with luggage during our last 2 Asian months without any problems and comfortably!
That is the outcome of our galley, thank you again for the many nice messages we received, it was crazy good morale!
For the rest: at times one has small signs that tell us that Christmas is coming, you never think about it because in these Buddhist countries nobody think about Christmas. But as recently dragged in capitals with their western tourists, we could see Santa Claus (the real!) This year he made some UV, he swapped his boots for a good pair of flip flops (he’s right it’s really more comfortable) and he will distribute gifts by tuk-tuk.
Also today, the guardian of the building in which we are hosted picked me by the ass’s skin to fuck Christmas balls and garlands (large amounts) on a plastic tree.