Some moves on the road:
Traveling with a young child is not always easy. Besides the fact that 3 years old he is still in “terrible 2” crisis, Driss fell sick in Kampong Cham, a town without much interest in the center of Cambodia. 39 degree fever, a bad cough and stuffy nose, here we went in search of a doctor. The manager of the guest house where we stayed led us on his scooter to the nearest doctor: 150 meters! You should know that here, as in Laos, the scooter is the family kind of transport, since it takes up to 5 people! Nothing serious we hope, after 5 days woozy, Driss found a little strength. We took the opportunity to eat well, and remember our culinary discoveries throughout the 4000 km …
- Matthias keeps a nostalgic memory of the Dutch Vla, creme dessert sold in 1-liter brick: We recommend you taste stracciatella flavour… supermarkets paradise
- To Bérengère is a vegetables soup cooked by Froukje in Netherlands: I have the recipe
- All along the European trip Driss feasted cherry tomatoes. It’s still better than chips!
- The cereal breads in Denmark, nothing to envy our wand
- Our BBQs with Marianne and Antoine, with garlic bread and roasted corn … yum … obviously still in beautiful natural settings (although a bit chilly)
- The elderflower syrup, become indispensable in gourds for crossing northern Europe. A terrible drug that we can not win.
- The now inevitable Swedish Viol: a violet candy that has allowed us to enjoy everywhere (Viol means “rape” in french)
- The Lao table barbecue, with a space for the broth, herbs and egg and meat over heated on the grill under the table!
- The Lao “sticky rice” (a kind of local rice that is only found in Laos), served in small baskets eaten by hand … Most of our food for almost one month! Driss has eaten a few pounds!
- The Khmer version of Kratie in Cambodia: the Krolan is a large piece of bamboo within is kept warm sticky rice cooked in coconut milk with a few beans: Delicious and very convenient to eat during a ride or a pique-nique
- Fresh fruit and milkshakes: coconut shakes, shakes papaya, banana shakes …
- refreshing break on the roadside with fresh coconuts and fresh sugarcane juice!
- A delicious meal in a little restaurant in Chhloung, Cambodia: away from the tourists, everyone pays a share and helps itself in a single dish potluck, as always here served with an iced green tea as a beverage
- The most attractive: the “Pho soups” swallowed in various roadside greasy spoon lunch … Rice noodles with dipped meat… a wide range of tastes depending on the place: sometimes good, sometimes frankly damaged; In any case, we never met a single Western person where we stop to have lunch! The Pho soup swallowed out of tourist areas has enabled us to discover the true atmosphere of these Asian countries. And yet still no diarrhea despite the often tainted meat …
Finally we actually finished this little time of disease by eating french “Vache-qui-rit” cheese, we do not deny our origins !!!